The mission of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences is to serve the residents of North Carolina and meet the challenges of the 21st century by educating our students to be future leaders and responsible citizens with a distinctive willingness to engage in the life of their communities, their state, and their nation.
We will accomplish this mission as we:
- Require academic achievement in well-defined areas of study.
- Advocate for and reward faculty research, scholarship, and creativity to ensure rich environments of discovery.
- Engage with communities, businesses, nonprofits, and governments to apply scholarly perspectives to ongoing challenges.
- Draw from community engagement to develop innovative approaches to teaching and learning.
- Encourage open discussion of ethical questions.
- Foster an environment rich in diversity and cross-cultural understanding.