How to Process Extension Service Agreements
An Extension Service Agreement allows units to perform extension services (teaching, training, and professional services provided to the public) that are not research. (Regulation 01.20.02, Section 4.5)
- Submit the following to the director of research and center administration (Missy Thomas) at least one week prior to your deadline for sharing the price estimate with the customer:
- Statement of work for services to be delivered (include dates).
- Itemized budget* and budget justification.
- Payment schedule: At what intervals do you need payments made? Best practice is to bill within 30 days of service.
- Legal name of customer, contact person, address, email and telephone number.
- Once approved by the director of research and center administration, the extension service agreement will be provided to the department/center. The department/center will share the extension service agreement and funding acknowledgment with the customer for review and signature.
- If the customer can sign as is, the agreement can be signed by the associate dean for research and engagement (1-2 business days).
- If revisions are requested, the agreement must be forwarded by the director of research and center administration to other university offices for review. (5-7 business days)
- Once the terms of the agreement are finalized, the department/center will share the revised extension service agreement with the customer for review and signature.
- The department/center will send the partially executed agreement (signed only by the customer) and the signed funding acknowledgment to the director of research and center administration to obtain university signature.
- If the funding acknowledgment states that federal dollars will be used, we will transition to the sponsored project process.
- Once the Extension Service Agreement is fully executed (signed by both parties), the department/center must initiate applicable payroll distribution changes charging the appropriate 3 account.
- Reminder: Trust Fund accounts (upper level 3 accounts) must be completely self-supporting — no state dollars can subsidize the work.
- As payments are received, the department/center is responsible for depositing payments into the applicable 3 account.
- Invoicing will be handled by the Office of Research and Engagement.
*Your budget should be based on consistent effort-based calculations. For example, if it takes 10 hours to prepare and deliver XYZ training, budget should be based on 10 hours of individual’s salary who will perform the services. Each time XYZ training is prepared and delivered, it should be based on 10 hours of effort, regardless of who performs services. Rates need to be documented and provided to the college Office of Research and Engagement.