Skip to main content

Travel and P-Card Purchases


Travel on sponsored projects must follow all state and university policies.

When traveling out of the country on federal awards, you must adhere to the Fly America Act. Simply put, you must use U.S. flag air carriers (if available), regardless of cost.

Travel Reminders

  • Commercial lodging (such as hotels) is allowable. If third-party (non-commercial) lodging is needed, contact your department or the CHASS Research Office. Prior approval to use third-party lodging must be requested.
  • When renting cars, do not purchase coverage for the Collision Damage Waiver/Loss Damage Waiver. Since the State of North Carolina Motor Vehicle Insurance Policy provides rental physical damage coverage as noted above, this insurance coverage is not required for state employees.
  • No receipts are required for meals. You will receive per diem rates for meals. Current rates can be found here.
  • The Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) clarifies the mileage reimbursement rates for official university business. Current rates can be found here.
  • NC State has a fleet of vehicles that can be reserved and rented. Visit the Fleet Services website for details.

P-Card Purchases

When purchases for a sponsored project need to be charged to a p-card, it is the responsibility of the PI and department to request a pre-audit review by the Research Office.

If a charge is made on the p-card and it is determined that it is unallowable, the Research Office will move the cost to the department’s F&A account. Forward receipts to the Research Office as soon as the CPS# is available.