Skip to main content

Catering and Serving Alcohol

Catering options are virtually unlimited. You are free to engage a private catering organization of your choice, or choose Rave! Catering (919.515.2023).

  • Note: Rave! Catering must be used if you are hosting your event at the Talley Student Center or Vaughn Towers.

If you use a private caterer, you will be responsible for arranging parking or campus access privileges.

In order to serve alcohol at university sponsored events, you must submit a completed Request for Permission to Serve Alcohol form to Crissy Williams-Brown in the Dean’s Office for approval.

  • Note: Submit your form at least three weeks prior to the event and before you print invitations if you plan to reference cocktails on the invite.

Submit an Authorization to Purchase Alcohol form to Crissy Williams-Brown, which the dean must approve. This form must be on file if you will require reimbursement for purchasing alcohol.

The university has strict guidelines regarding serving alcohol at university-sponsored events. Important items to consider include:

  • State-appropriated or federal funds cannot be used to purchase alcohol.
  • Except for university holidays, no alcohol may be served at any campus location (with the exception of those campus facilities authorized to sell alcohol) on a university business day before 5:00 p.m.
  • Access to the event must be limited to invitees and controlled throughout the event. The event may not be open to the public.
  • A sufficient amount of alternative, nonalcoholic beverages must be available.
  • A sufficient amount of substantial, wholesome food (heavy hors d’oeuvres or dinner) must be served.
  • You must engage a professional bartender. University Catering can assist you in securing one. For events in private homes, professional bartenders are not required.
  • No self-service of alcohol is permitted.
  • A reception with alcoholic beverages that is followed by a full meal may last no longer than one hour. A reception with alcoholic beverages that is not followed by a full meal may last no longer than two hours.
  • Refer to the university policies for full details on serving alcohol. 
  •  Flowchart: Permission to Serve or Sell Alcohol at NC State