Mindy Sopher teaches Nonprofit Leadership and Development (COM466) and Public Speaking (COM110) at NC State University. She also facilitates numerous workshops for the Leadership Development Series, Wolfpack Athletic Department, Student Government, and Fraternity/Sorority groups both on and off-campus. At NC State, she served students as the first Director of Greek Life (now Fraternity and Sorority Life), as a researcher for the National Initiative for Leadership and Institutional Effectiveness (NILIE). and an Academic Advisor & Lecturer in Exploratory Studies. She served Sigma Nu Fraternity for 5 years as their Faculty in Residence/HouseMother.
Impact of COM 466 Nonprofit Leadership and Development Students on the local Community Living-Learning Environments for Fraternity Men New Directions in Student Leadership in an Agriculture Based Economy / Community
Extension and Community Engagement
- Association of Fraternity and Sorority Advisors (Regional VP)
- Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce Leadership Hampton Roads (Curriculum Chair)
- United Cerebral Palsy of SE Virginia (President, Development Chair)
- Southeastern Panhellenic Conference
- Southeastern Interfraternity Conference
- National Kappa Delta Sorority Centennial Convention (Local Arrangements Chair)
Fund Development Projects:
- Chair: Inaugural Great Hampton Roads Duck Race, net raised $ 68K
- Dancing “Guest Star” in “Dancing Like the Stars” Competition for the National Inclusion Project
- Participant: Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (10 times)
Volunteer Activities and Engagement:
- A Place at the Table; Passage Home; Youth Tutoring
- Kappa Delta Sorority (Girl Scouts, Prevent Child Abuse, VA Children’s Home, Christmas Seals)
- National Inclusion Project; Activate Good; Habitat for Humanity; Chrysler Museum
- American Red Cross and Blood Drives (2 Gallon Donor); Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Norfolk Public Library; Norfolk LGBT Center; First Presbyterian Church Food Pantry
- Meals on Wheels; STOP Hunger Now; Food Bank of South and Central NC
- Order of the Eastern Star; Rainbow for Girls; church affiliated projects and mission trips
- Mon: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Wed: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Thu: 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Atkin et al., (2013) Transition to Higher Education Workbook. Raleigh, NC: CopyTron, Ed. Team.
Sowell, Craig S., (2009). Revealing the Non-Secrets. Indianapolis, IN: Createspace. Ed. Reviewer.
Sopher, M.B. (2006) Helicopter Parents. In Thorne, J. The Angelos of Kappa Delta, Fall 2006.
Sopher, M.B. (2002). Living with breast cancer, fighting it with Xeloda. Oncology Today, 2(2), 1
Sopher, M.B. (1980). Building Traditions. In Raymond, J. Orientation: Just the beginning. Campus Life, 12(4), 32.
Over one dozen technical research publications for the NILIE Research Consortium. Selected list:
Sopher, M.B. (2002). Personal Assessment of the College Environment (PACE). A report for the Gateway Technical College, Racine, WI. Raleigh, NC: NC State University, National Initiative for Leadership and Institutional Effectiveness.Caison, A, Ed.D.
Reno, D.L., and Sopher, M.B. (2001). Student Assessment of the College Environment (SACE). A report for Northwest Vista Community College, San Antonio, TX. Raleigh, NC: NC State University, National Initiative for Leadership & Institutional Effectiveness.
Raleigh STARS (Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation) under Dr. Jose Picart, PI (NC State CoEd) – assessment of causes and propensity of local students to apply for and enroll in local colleges
GRIT (Psychology Research Grant from the Science Foundation) under Dr. Raymond Ting, PI – assessment of resolve to stay in school and be successful
PACE and SACE Under Dr. George Baker, PI (NC State College of Education) – assessment of staff or student satisfaction at Community Colleges; 12 co-authored reports
B.A. Political Science Wittenberg University 1979
M.A. Higher Education Administration (Student Personnel) Bowling Green State University 1983
Ed.D. Agricultural and Extension Education NC State University in progress
Area(s) of Expertise
Students in Transition Indicators of Academic and Personal Satisfaction and Success during Major Selection Nonprofit Leadership, Sustainability, and Capacity Building Nonprofit Volunteer recruitment, training, engagement, appreciation, and retention Student Leadership Development and Officer / Leadership Transition Fraternity / Sorority Life