Spanish Section Coordinator, Department of World Languages and Cultures
Withers Hall 405
Welcome to my homepage! I am a Pennsylvania native and graduate of the Harrisburg Area Community College, Millersville University and the University of Pittsburgh. After a few years at the University of Puerto Rico, I came to NC State in 2002. I have enjoyed teaching a variety of Spanish and teaching methods courses in the department, as well as serving as Spanish Section Coordinator. I am also very active in the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) as an English and Spanish Oral Proficiency (OPI) tester and mentor for OPI certification candidates. I hope you find my homepage informative. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or comments!
- Smith-Sherwood, D. & Darhower, M. (2023). Transforming the Literature Class with Integrated Performance Assessments. In Troyan, F.; Adair-Hauck, B. & Glisan, E. Twenty Years of Integrated Performance Assessment. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages.
- Darhower, M.A. & Smith-Sherwood, D. (2023). Meeting Them Where They Are: Using Differentiated Integrated Performance Assessments to Build Interpersonal Speaking Skills in the L2 Literature Class. In Echevarría, M. (Ed.), Rehumanizing the Language and Literature Curriculum. Peter Lang.
- Darhower, M.A. & Smith-Sherwood, D. (2021) Addressing the Language-Literature Divide via Integrated Performance Assessments in an Introduction to Hispanic Literature Class. Hispania 104,3. 395-413
- Brooks, F.B. and Darhower, M.A. (2014). It takes a department! A study of the culture of proficiency in three successful foreign language teacher education programs. Foreign Language Annals 47(4). 592-613.
- Darhower, M.A. (2014). Dynamic assessment in synchronous computer-mediated communication: A case study of L2 Spanish past narration. CALICO Journal31(2). 221-243.
- Darhower, M.A. (2014). Literary Discussions and Advanced-Superior Speaking Functions in the Undergraduate Language Program. Hispania 97(3). 396-412
- Darhower, M. (2008). The Role of Linguistic Affordances in Participation in a Bilingual Telecollaboration. CALICO Journal 26,1.
- Darhower, M. (2007). A Tale of Two Communities: Group Dynamics and Community Building in a Spanish – English Telecollaboration. CALICO Journal24,3. 561-590.
- Darhower, M. (2006). Where’s the community? Bilingual Internet chat and the fifth C of the National Standards. Hispania 89,1. 84-98
- Darhower, M. (2004). Dialogue journals as mediators of L2 learning: A sociocultural account. Hispania 87,2. 324-335.
- Darhower, M. (2002). Interactional Features of Synchronous Computer-Mediated Communication: A Sociocultural Case Study. CALICO Journal 19,2. 249-275. (This article won the Outstanding Article of the Year Award presented by Sony, Inc. and the Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO).
- ACTFL Modified Oral Proficiency Interview Certification Workshop. Virginia Department of Education, Leesburg, VA. July 28-29, 2022.
- Transform Your Literature Class with ACTFL Integrated Performance Assessments (half-day workshop with Dawn Smith-Sherwood). American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese Annual Convention, San Juan, Puerto Rico. July 12, 2022.
- Meeting Students Where They Are Using Integrated Performance Assessments (with Dawn Smith-Sherwood). American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese Annual Convention, San Juan, Puerto Rico. July 9-12, 2022.
- ACTFL Modified Oral Proficiency Interview Certification Workshop (virtual). Alpine School District, American Fork, Utah. May 17-June 5, 2021.
- ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview Certification Workshop. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL. January 17-20, 2020.
- ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview Certification Workshop. North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, Durham, NC. October 8-11, 2019.
- ACTFL Writing Proficiency Test Familiarization Workshop. Arlington School District, Arlington, VA. August 23, 2019.
- ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview Certification Workshop. Tabor Academy, Marion, MA. July 8-11, 2019.
- ACTFL Modified Oral Proficiency Interview Workshop. Los Angeles Unified School District, Los Angeles, CA. June 11-12, 2019.
- Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs) as a Means to Stimulate Continued Oral Proficiency Growth in an Introduction to Hispanic Literature Class. Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, Lexington, KY. April 13, 2019.
- ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview Certification Workshop. University of Rhode Island. December 17-20, 2018.
- ACTFL Modified Oral Proficiency Interview Workshop. Greensburg-Salem School District, Greensburg, PA. October 8-9, 2018.
- MLA Professors/ACTFL Protocols: Promoting Proficiency in L2 ‘Content’ Courses (respondent). Northeast Modern Language Association 49th Annual Convention, Pittsburgh, PA. April 13, 2018.
Courses Regularly Taught
- FL 507 College Teaching of Foreign Languages
- FLS 331 Spanish Oral and Written Expression I
- FLS 400 Methods and Techniques in Spanish Translation and Interpretation
- FLS 402 Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- FLS 503 Spanish Applied Linguistics
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Member of NC State University Faculty Senate (2019-2021)
- Member of American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL); American Association of Applied Linguistics (AAAL); American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP); Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO)
- ACTFL Certified Superior oral proficiency in Spanish and English.
- ACTFL Certified Oral Proficiency Tester and Certification Mentor (Spanish and English)
- ACTFL Certified Rater of Oral Proficiency Interview – Computer (OPIc) (Spanish)
- ACTFL Certified Rater of Writing Proficiency Test (Spanish).
- Teaching Certification: Spanish grades 7-12 in Pennsylvania and 9-12 in North Carolina.
- Passed the written North Carolina Court Interpreter Exam and written Federal Court Interpreter Certification Exam
- Passed 2/3 sections of North Carolina Court Interpreter exam
Area(s) of Expertise
Discursive aspects of second language acquisition, ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines, Integrated Performance Assessment, language teaching methodology, multiliteracies, Spanish for special purposes (especially Criminology)