Associate Professor of Political Science (and Africana Studies), a Research Associate with the Centre for Basic Research in Kampala, Uganda and weekly columnist for Uganda’s Daily Monitor newspaper.
Teaching and Research Interests
Comparative Politics and International Political Economy with a focus on Africa.
- Autocratization in Uganda.
- Political Settlements and Revenue Bargains in Africa.
- Coalition Politics and Institutional Transformation in Africa.
- Rethinking Civil-Military Relations in Africa (Co-edited with Christopher Day).
- Africa’s New Global Politics (with Rita Kiki Edozie)
Peer Reviewed Articles:
- “Deepening Politics of Fragmentation in Uganda,” African Studies Review, August 2022.
- “Contextualizing the Bobi Wine factor in Uganda’s 2021 Elections,” (with Sam Wilkins & Richard Vokes), African Affairs 120, no. 481 (2021): 629-643.
- “Politicization and Professionalization: The Progress and Perils of Civil-Military Transformation in Museveni’s Uganda,” Civil Wars 22, no. 2-3 (2020): 289-312.
- “Reconceptualizing Civil-Military Relations in Africa” (with Christopher Day), Civil Wars 22, no. 2-3 (2020): 174-197.
- “Revisiting the Civil-Military Conundrum in Africa” (with Christopher Day and William Reno), Civil Wars 22, no. 2-3 (2020): 156-173.
- “Shrinking Democratic Space? Crisis of Consensus and Contentious Politics in Uganda,” Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Politics 57, no. 3 (2019): 343-362..
- “Politics of Exclusion and Institutional Transformation in Ethiopia,” Third World Quarterly 40, no. 3 (2019): 542-557.
- “Whose Africa is Rising,” Review of African Political Economy 46, no. 160 (2019): 304-316.
- “Managing Elite Defection in Uganda,” Journal of Eastern African Studies 10, no. 4 (2016): 729-748.
- “Political Uncertainty and Its Impact of Social Service Delivery in Uganda,” Africa Development 40, no. 4 (2015).
- “The Making of the Informal State in Uganda,” African Development 38, no. 1&2 (2013): 191-226.
Book Chapters & Book Reviews
Several… available via Google Scholar.
Ph.D. Political Science Northwestern University 2016
M.A. Political Science Northwestern University 2013
Pre-Doc/M.Phil. Social Sciences Centre for Studies in Social Sciences Calcutta, India 2009
M.A. Human Rights Makerere University, Kampala 2007
B.A. Social Sciences (Political Science major) Makerere University, Kampala 2005
Area(s) of Expertise
Contemporary Political Development in Africa
Civil Military Relations
Comparative and International Political Economy
Democratization and Authoritarianism