You Make Us Proud
You’re actors and archivists, bakers and bankers, translators and teachers, musicians and museum directors. No matter how you’ve built your life and career since graduating, one thing is clear: you share a passion to think and do.
We’re proud of how you embody the humanities and social sciences, and our college. Help us continue to foster intellect and innovation by supporting our students, faculty and programs.
Alumni News More Stories
Alum Tony Caravano's Caldwell Support Comes Full Circle
From his days as a student leader to his investment in the Caldwell Fellows, alum Tony Caravano has always believed in the NC State community.
The college recognizes an outstanding alumnus each year with our Distinguished Alumnus Award. We honor our recipients during NC State’s annual Evening of Stars Gala. To nominate an accomplished graduate for his or her career achievements, community engagement or service to NC State, please contact the Humanities and Social Sciences Development Office at Marcy_Engler@ncsu.edu or 919-513-1478.
- 2017: Therese Fowler, B.A. Cultural Anthropology, 2000, MFA, 2005
- 2016: Gentry Smith, B.A. Political Science, 1983
- 2015: Vivian Howard, B.A. English, 2000
- 2014: Bob Geolas, B.A. Multidisciplinary Studies, 1987
- 2012: Susan Rabon, B.A. Political Science, 1982
- 2011: Nora Shepard, MFA Creative Writing, 2005
- 2010: Susan Carter, B.A. Political Science, 1981
- 2009: Jack L. Cozort, B.A. Liberal Arts, 1972
- 2008: Dick Carr, B. A. English, 1970
- 2007: Perry Safran, B.A. Political Science, 1972
- 2006: Ralph E. (Benny) Suggs, B.S. Psychology, 1969
- 2005: Barbara Goodmon, M.A. Liberal Studies, 2000
- 2004: Terry Gannon, B.A. History, 1985
- 2003: Sandra Harding, Ph.D. Sociology, 1994
- 2002: Julia T. Wood, B. A. Communication, 1972
- 2001: Gordon Smith, III, M.A. Rural Sociology, 1974
- 2000: Ann B. Goodnight, B.A. Political Science, 1968
- 1999: Sylvia A. Adcock, B.A. English, 1981
- 1998: Ronald E. Spivey, Jr., B.A. Political Science, 1982
- 1997: Larry D. Barbour, B.A. Political Science, 1971
- 1996: Pamela Denning, BA. Social Work, 1982
- 1995: Michael Pedneau, B.A. Political Science, 1973, M.P.A. 1975
- 1994: Philander D. Chase, B.A. History, 1965
- 1993: Peaches Gunter Blank, B.A. Political Science, 1973, M.P.A, 1974
- 1992: A. Leslie Cox, Jr., B.A. English, 1972
- 1991: William T. Kretzer, B.A. History, 1986
- 1990: Burley B. Mitchell, Jr., B.A. Political Science, 1966
Distinguished Alumnus Award Winners
Therese Fowler (MFA '05)
Novelist Therese Fowler is the author of the New York Times bestseller Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald, among other works. Z is available in multiple languages worldwide and has been adapted as an original television series for Amazon Studios, starring Christina Ricci.
What's Your Story?
Since earning your degree in Humanities and Social Sciences, you’ve built a life. You’ve launched a career. You’ve used what you learned and experienced here to create a unique and powerful story. We couldn't be more proud.
We want to share your story and inspire others. Tell us how your degree has affected your life and career.
From Our Alums More
My NC State Story: Brian Riddick (English '08)
English alumnus Brian Riddick shares how he realized that his love of literature and creative writing was not a path to law but a destination in and of itself. He recently self-published his first short story.
My NC State Story: Donovan Corneetz (Communication '05)
Voice actor and NC State communication alum Donovan Corneetz shares how he first learned about his career and some of the companies he's given a voice to.